Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Late Night, Early Day

Wood starts his "mids" shift today, or basically graveyards. He'll get home around 8am. So, to help his body try to adjust we stayed up very late last night. Or very early. Or whatever you want to call 6:00 am. It was made a little easier because we went to the Boston temple yesterday and then out to eat and didn't get home until around 1:30 in the morning. Wood just got the book Stone Tables by Orson Scott Card, so we spent most of the rest of the night reading together in that with a cookie break somewhere in there. Obviously today we slept in and now he's at work and I'm hoping I'll be able to get to sleep at a decent time tonight even though my day didn't start until so late. I'm sure I'll manage...I usually do when it comes to sleep!

I went out with some women from my ward tonight, all of whose husbands work at the same place Wood does. And it's always nice to hear their stories. They laughed when they heard I stayed up with Wood last night. "It's because they're newlyweds" was the consensus. Maybe. But I'm glad that my schedule has the flexibility right now that I can do that, even if it means putting a little kink in my sleeping pattern. They have children or jobs or both and it just wouldn't work. And I'm grateful for the time we get to have together, even if we are propping each others eyes open!

6 comments:

B said...

LOL! I'm glad you were able to stay up with Wood! Do it while you can. Because once the kids or the job does come along then, one of you will be staying up while the other gets rest, etc. It's a bit lonely sometimes!

I hope you're enjoying Stone Tables that's one of my favorites. I really like Card's Old Testament stories. He does a great job of making the characters come to life!

Lady said...

It's been a long time since I pulled an all nighter. Sometimes I imagine how fun it would be to stay up all night and sleep most of the day away, but like B said - once the kids come along it's all over! Enjoy while you can. How was the Boston temple? I heard it is beautiful. We loved the city of Boston when we were there last September. It's such a beautiful clean city.

Taffy said...

Good work staying up all night. Good thing you were able to sleep in after. If I stayed up till 6am my kids would be just waking up. I would just have to keep staying awake!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ree said...

Hi, Wood and Woodine! I'm late in my welcome, but it's great to have found your blog! Congratulations and keep up the posts!

Trick said...

I remember I used to resent the comments about us being newlyweds. Now I understand the point of view of older couples, but I think it's great for all of us to still be madly in love. I really enjoy my time with my husband after the kids are asleep, but I do have to be careful or I will be a pretty cranky Mommy in the morning. I am so glad you guys had so much fun together. You are a great lady. I also love Stone Tables. Wood read it on our OK road trip. I really want to pick it up again (but a few other books are in line first...).