Saturday, December 16, 2006

Our Recent (and meager) Sewing Projects

Well, to continue on the SRC theme, we wanted to share some of our recent projects. The motivating force for our recent stint of homemade textile products stems from the fact that our curtains were too thin. When it was night time, you could see right into our apartment. Plus, it gets cold here and we wanted something thicker to keep the drafts down. This picture is with our christmas lights on, so is the picture with our new curtains.



So about a month ago, we went to wal*mart and among the things we left with were two patterns of $1/yd fabric that we would make into new curtains.

A month later, we have 4 of 6 curtains made, as well as a christmas tree skirt and stockings which we used the old curtains for portions of both skirt and stockings. (We were going to just make the stocking from the felt we bought, but SPH-1 suggested a sturdier material to increase the stocking utility lifetime to stocking ratio. So our breakdown for points are as follows:

3 pts (x 4) cheap fabric for good curtains
5 bonus points no more trans-curtain exhibitionism
5 pts old curtain for bottom of Christmas tree skirt
5 pts (x 2) old curtain for inside stocking liner
2 pts (x 2) using twine saved from bringing christmas tree home for stocking loops strengthener

for 36 points










We're pretty happy with the outcome. I just think of The Sound of Music and Maria making play clothes for the kids out of the old curtains. Though we aren't wearing 'em, I do feel a little closer to that renegade nun and the VonTrappe Family Singers.

. . . My only question is, "What do the points mean if we both worked on the projects?"

5 comments:

Taffy said...

Your projects are awesome. They look so beautiful. I think the the points are mostly a modivation to start a project and a reward for finishing it. Maybe we should start collecting points and then use the points to "purchase" something- like brownies or cheese cake.

Peanut said...

Nice work! I'm super impressed--not only making your own curtains but making good use out of the old curtains too!

Hmmm, Taffy, that's an interesting idea. I could be talked into "spending" my points on things like brownies or cheesecake. :)

B said...

I like brownies and cheesecake!

Plus those are awesome projects! Someday I'll get the $1/yd fabric I bought for curtains made into something! You've inspired me....but I know it won't happen this week, at least!

Good jod Wooods!

Ree said...

I like that tree skirt especially! Nice work!

Boss said...

Everything looks great. Like Ree, I especially love the tree skirt. And I like your resourcefulness in putting the old curtains to some other use. It always feels good when I can multitask my stash that way! Way to go!