Saturday, November 18, 2006

Handy

Some things are just handy to have around. Like can openers. Or ice cream. Or my husband.

Like when we borrow a sewing machine and he figures out how to change the stitches, thread the needle, fill the bobbin, and then fix the bobbin and I get an abbreviated tutorial, that's handy.

Or when my keys keep getting lost and I have to wander around the house shaking my purse, coats, and pants I've worn recently hoping to hear the sound of keys. So I comment that it would sure be nice to have something with hooks to hang my keys on. And I come home from enrichment and he's making this

Now that's handy.

Or when he's adjusting his sleeping pattern so he wakes up way before I do and does the dishes and makes me breakfast...now that's handy.

Or when I'm feeling overwhelmed and I haven't slept well and I start crying over my cereal and he wonders if I'm joking. But realizing I'm not he restrains laughter (smart man) and instead suggests"I think you're tired, why don't you go back to bed for awhile" now that's handy.

Or when we go places together I know that even if I don't know anyone else, I will at least know one person -- someone who is great at making me laugh and at having a good time. Now that's handy!

We were originally supposed to leave NY at the end of December but our stay has been extended by months (exact dates remain elusive). This postpones (though does not reduce...rats) when Wood will be going on submarines. And that's just fine with me. Because clearly he is handy to have around. Well, more then handy. He's just plain wonderful.

5 comments:

Taffy said...

Woodine, I'm sure Wood thinks you're pretty handy too! That was a wonderful tribute. Wood is definatly an awesome man. I'm glad he's got such an awesome wife!

Lady said...

What a great guy you have! We all think he's pretty great too. With all the nice handy things he does for you - You'll really appreciate and miss them when he's out at sea! To many more great and HANDY years to come!!!

Froga-lee said...

Sewing machine interpretation and hooks for keys are great, but a husband with compassion is priceless!
Congrats on the new calling! I am sure there are sisters in your ward who need just what you have to give for the next little while.

Trick said...

I like to say, "it takes one to know one" but my husband just refers to the Law of Attraction. Any compliment for Wood is also a compliment for Woodine. We love you and miss you both.

Boss said...

I am late chiming in here, but I agree. Wood is great. And handy. And four out of four wise women (above) agree that you're great too. So I believe that too.

Also, I have to admit I've cried over my cereal a time or two too.