Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Busy

Sometimes, meaning more then I would care to admit, I get to the end of the day and wonder exactly what I have accomplished. In college I could check off a long list every day - homework, check, more homework, check, class, class, class, check, study group, check, dinner group, check, etc... I still make check lists for myself but it looks something like this - laundry - um well I started a load or two but then I got distracted with something else so there's a pile on the couch waiting to be folded and laundry in the dryer that needs to come out and I really should start another load ... do I get half a check?

Here's part of my dilemma - I was driven when it came to academia and I'm less motivated when it comes to housework. Don't get me wrong, the toilets get cleaned, the laundry gets done (and folded and put away), the carpets get vacuumed - but I'm not as organized or driven as I used to be and I know I could get more done every day if I would be. I know life will get exponentially busier, but right now with one little one at home who still naps twice a day I don't always check as many things off as I think I should - not that I'm complaining about not going at a break-neck pace. It's just, I almost feel like I should, like somehow I don't make the rank of good moms if I'm not. That being said, perhaps I should start adding things to my list like - take MaryP to park and push her on swing. Check. Pull wood-chips out of her mouth multiple times and wonder who thought it was a good idea to use wood-chips at park. Check. Watch her go up and down slide several times. Check. Run around house playing peek-a-boo. Check. Read "Have you seen my cat" enough times in a row that I hide the book. Check. Change diapers. Check. Breakfast, lunch, dinner - check, check, check. I'm feeling better already....

But enough about me. We're doing well as a family. Wood has been very busy with qualifications. I had no idea when he started on the boat that he had so many things that he had to qualify for, meaning he has to certify over different areas of the boat before he can oversee that particular area or work without supervision on a particular thing. Recently he has qualified contact coordinator and Diving officer of the watch - diving refers to the boat - not Wood himself. I'm proud of what he's accomplished so far, but he's so different from me. If it were me I would come home and say "you wouldn't believe what I had to do today" and for him it goes something like this. Me: So how's work going ... good, busy? Him: Oh, well things have been pretty busy lately. Me: How so? Him: Oh, like last Monday I had four tests. Me: What? You never told me about that, how was it, how'd it go?! Him: Fine, it was a long day, but, you know, that's life.
How did I end up with this guy? And I mean that in the best way possible - he works so hard and takes it all in stride.

MaryP has been busy too. She's learned how to climb, much to my chagrin, and loves it. I don't mind the coffee table so much, but I put the kabosh on the kitchen table and the whole wheels-by-the-piano set up.

She is also exploring her world. Wipes, emptying her diaper pail, discovering the crasins bag, etc.

One of the things we love about living here is we are only a drive away from both sets of my grandparents whom we've been able to visit semi-regularly. I don't have any pictures with my dad's parents (I need some!) but here is MaryP with my mom's parents when they came up our way for a visit. She particularly took a shine to my grandpa and his hat.

She loves playing with our phone that broke and thinks it's great to push the buttons since they still make noise. I'm convinced that kids toys should be more real-to-life. MaryP knows the difference between the plastic imitations and the real-deal and always goes for the true to life toys. And I love the sweet expression on the bottom middle picture. She found my headband and was trying to put it on so I put it on her and was surprised that she left it there. She is a real sweetheart. She has a smile for almost everyone. She loves peek a boo, loves laughing, loves running up to give me hugs, and always wants to be involved in what is going on. When I am cooking she will get out her bowl and spoon and "mix-it, mix-it" as we call it right along with me. She is happy and easy to please (most of the time) and she is just a delight. We sure love her and are grateful to have her in our family.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Wood totally sounds like his dad! The pictures are cute!

Boss said...

I love a baby in pig tails. (Grace is still waiting for the day she can wear them.) I can't believe how grown up MaryP looks, even since reunion.

As for the checklists and housework, I decided a few years during an institute class on goal setting (which was clearly geared toward students who could make more checklist style objectives) that motherhood was on an entirely different plane, goal wise. Sure, there are concrete lists of things that need to get done (toilets, laundry etc.), but if I make a list of those things and measure my progress against that I risk losing focus on my ultimate goal: raising good, happy, smart, confident children. It's reading Have you Seen my Cat or Hop on Pop or whatever 47 times a day that gets me there, not having clean toilets. (But still the toilets need to be scrubbed . . . why does it always come back to that?) Anyway, you've figured this out yourself, I can see, so you should tell me to shut up and get my own blog.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Jamie & Ryan said...

Your little girl is growing up fast! She's got such a cute, funny little personality. I love hearing stories about her! :)

Christine said...

Boss - the thing is, I know it conceptually, know that motherhood is more then checklists. But I'm still trying to wrap my mind and heart around it - that it's ok if I don't check a bunch of things off - what matters is my family.

So shut-up, oh, I mean don't shut-up and keep the comments (on my blog) coming!

Anonymous said...

If you need a system to help you feel you've accomplished some housework each day I've got a really funny book for you to read and apply in your own way: "Sidetracked Home Executives" by Pam Young and Peggy Jones. I so identified with these girls! You on the other hand will probably think no one could ever be so disorganized and survive. Anyway it's a fun read.
I love that you keep us in touch.
SPH-1

Melanie said...

Very fun post. I love the pictures. That little girl is such a cutie! :)

The fun thing about that post was that I could just HEAR you saying it. I miss you, you know. Thinking of you saying all of those things makes me think of the times when you would wash dishes and I would sit and talk to you. (Notice who was always washing the dishes? ;) It would be fun to do that again.

I hear you on not getting things done. I usually start the day with a goal, and it only gets done 1/2 the time. Plus, my goals are easy, like "get a nap" or "do home preschool" or "fold the laundry" or even "take a shower." My kids tend to dovetail each other's schedules, so the moment one is down the other is up, and baby is still high needs, so I sometimes get nothing done at all except keeping everyone fed, clothed, and reasonably happy. Sometimes I feel like my day should look more like: "Made it through the day, we're all still here... check." :)

Miss you. Keep up the good work.

Melanie

Ree said...

That child is just so adorable. I hope you are enjoying every moment with her while she is still little. The laundry will ALWAYS be there.

Princess Gerty said...

I am also a "check list person." I get a lot of satisfaction out of my "to do list" being done. I had to start putting things like "love my children" "read to my children" and "enjoy my children" on my to do list. I know you are doing a great job (even if you don't feel you are) and we think you are the best! Cute pics!

Erin said...

Amen, Amen and Amen! I think I will frame what you said about the "list" mentality! You are a great woman, Christine! What a darling MaryP is. I'm sure she is going to be one very bright, very sparkly little girl!

Lady said...

I have been meaning to comment for some time. I hear you on everything you said. It is so hard to feel like you have accomplished much some days. I do think you need to write down all those motherly things and check them off because they are things you have to/want to do each day. Plus it shows you how much you really have accomplished each day. Even if you don't have the task on at the beginning of the day but then you look back on what you did - write it down and check it off. You'll feel so good inside. Things like make breakfast, clean up breakfast, make lunch, clean up lunch, make dinner, clean up dinner - sometimes I feel like that's all I do get done and the next day I just want to serve frozen pizza so I can get something else done that day. Just know it's a temporary situation and one day you'll be back to checking off all of those lofty goals and you'll just want to sit and read a baby a book!