Monday, March 05, 2007

Broadway - Baby - Blokus

So Woodine and I went to NYC Friday thru Saturday. We used Priceline to get a relatively cheap hotel right next to Broadway. We showed up, set our stuff down in our room, and walked to Korea town. We had some pretty good Mandoo (potstickers) for lunch and walked around the block to look at the Empire State Building. On our way down Broadway, Christine saw a Jamba Juice and since there aren't any where we live and she had some gift cards for Jamba Juice we had a nice smoothie.
For dinner we went to a different Korean restaurant. I was happy that Woodine liked most of the things we had - even some I don't especially care for! Then we went back to Broadway and saw Wicked. We had the album already so we knew a lot of the story, but we both were pleasantly surprised by the things we didn't expect. It was a great show. It was very witty. We both loved it. I'm glad we chose to go to Wicked over any other.
I liked how it incorporated so much stuff that was in the Wizard of Oz. From the ruby slippers, flying monkeys, Tin Man, Lion, Scarecrow, and even the tornado. I guess I'd be repeating myself if I said we REALLY liked it. But we did. . . and so I did (repeat myself).

We also went and saw Liberty Enlightening the World (A.K.A the statue of liberty) and learned that that was its real name. I liked watching the video on how they made it. The engineer in me loves that stuff. I think Woodine was surprised I spent so much time learning about Lady Liberty. I think she intended on spending more time on Ellis Island. Sorry honey!

On Friday in the midst of sleet and snow, before we headed to New York City, we went and took some pictures of our baby. The ultrasonic fashion advisor was there and apparently Pink is in this year. I loved watching our little baby move around in Woodine's belly. She was so active! She kicked and moved her arms, and even rubbed her eyes with her hands as we watched. We were relieved to find out that she doesn't have a cleft lip (you can't tell about the palate with ultrasounds). Both of us were convinced before we went in that we were having a girl, but as the lady was doing the ultrasound, we both saw something (possibly the umbilical cord) that made us think it was a boy. The lady kept on saying 'him', 'he', and 'his' as she was talking. I realized I had been looking forward to having a girl, and found myself trying to reconcile myself to having a boy! But then the fashion advisor said that our baby was a girl. So then I had to undo my emotional reconciliation I had just begun. I have a lot of nieces and nephews, but I think I am finding (and will continue to find) that the emotional investment in a child skyrockets when they are your own.
She was nestled in a little ball in a pocket of the uterus where the Fashion Advisor said it was really difficult to get good pictures. Our baby girl refused to turn around and face the ultrasound lady. Woodine and I were really happy with all we could see, and I guess if we missed out we have nothing to compare it to and be disappointed about. Plus I was pretty impressed that the ultrasound could make out the color of our baby's tights. Technology these days. I'm just wondering what she did with her shirt.

About a week ago, we went to Target because we got some gift cards for Christmas we still needed to consume. Woodine bought maternity clothes, and I bought among other things, a game called Blokus. We have played it . . . maybe a little more than we ought to have recently. Let's just say we have missed our bedtime most nights because of it. Its great because it is a simple game to learn. The rules are:

1. Each player takes a turn placing a piece touching the corner of at least one of their own pieces already in play
2. You can't place a piece that touches the edge of any of your other pieces

The winner is the person who can place the most pieces on the board. Purple won by one piece in this picture. We bought the small travel version, but I think I will be buying the 4 player version with some of my other gift money because we like the game so much.

9 comments:

B said...

Carolioness and Semaj have brought the 4-player version of Blockus to family dinner. Mimi and Buddy LOVE it (and the rest of us have enjoyed it too!)

Congratulations on finding out about the pink tights and hair bow! Girls are fun!

Peanut said...

Nice pink tights! I'm excited for you guys.

Mark said...

We love Blokus too, having been introduced by my parents. We just got Rumis, which is made by the same group - with a few twists, including being 3-dimensional. We have eyeballed Blokus Trigon, but have yet to spring for that.

We will need to work out a visit with you guys - whether it is us invading the Woods, you two (three) coming here to Crazy County, or meeting someplace in between.

Boss said...

Congratulations on your ultrasonic fashion advice! Little girls are lots of fun. I do wonder, though, how your little one managed to find tights in her size. I've had a hard time finding tights for my 3 week old, and in my searching, I haven't seen a single pair in size fetus.

I like Blockus too. And Broadway plays (although I have not seen Wicked). Thanks for the fun post!

Ree said...

Congratulations! Little girls are so much fun! And so is Blokus--we've enjoyed it for several years now, although I didn't know there was a two player version.

Christine said...

It's the travel version, so it is smaller.

We also bought the 4 player kind, and I was sad to realize the squares were larger. I was hoping to have all six colors which I could use interchangeably. Oh well. I also eyed Rumis & Trigon, but have not purchased them . . . yet.

Lady said...

I am a little late but a big Congrats goes out to you from the Pennhens!! I am glad to hear you are having a girl. If you like hand-me-downs, I'll be glad to have someone that can use some of Piper's things. Although this will probably only work the first year because your baby will be soooo much taller than Piper.

Trick said...

Yay! I am so excited for you and your girl! It is so fun to see that little baby move around! I so glad for you. I can really understand your feelings! That is so fun! ( I don't mind that you love her more than my kids :)

Anonymous said...

I loved Wicked too. It kicked the trash out of The Lion King.