Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Maine

Two weekends ago we headed up to Maine. It was only a 4 hour drive from here - though this was extended by Boston traffic and an unhappy baby - she was bored? Once we got into Maine we saw some really beautiful fall colors! By the time we made it to the Navy Lodge it was too dark to do any sight-seeing, so we made our way to a restaurant to try some Maine lobster. We shared the dinner and it was one of those things that is fun to do once, but we probably won't repeat. We had New England clam chowder, lobster, muscles, and crab-stuffed haddock. That haddock was our favorite. I wish we had taken a picture of the plate with the lobster and the muscles, it looked awesome!

We decided that lobster is really a glorified way to eat butter - but we couldn't pass up the opportunity while in Maine! However, I decided I do not enjoy seeing the whole creature I am eating while eating it. First of all, it looks like a bug. Not to mention those bug-like legs that were flailing around while Wood cracked the thing open. And removing the intestines - blech. I guess I've seen a fish cleaned before, but that doesn't bother me as much. Yep, I definitely am not a lobster lover. Once was enough for me.

Saturday we drove down two peninsulas and onto some little islands. The Maine coastline is truly a must-see in my book. We didn't get out to take pictures (someone was sleeping happily as long as we kept moving) but it was just incredible. A very rugged coastline with rock and sand formations jutting out into the sea. Combine this with fall colors and you have quite a scene.

We also made our way to the Portland Head Light - one of the most famous light houses, and commissioned by George Washington. The weather was not ideal, but the view was!

5 comments:

I stinketh not!! said...

Ok.. I was really getting hungry until the 2nd paragraph egh.. it was still moving.. I will skip the lobster if I head up that way. I think I will try and head up that way before I leave NY. Thanks for the trip ideas.

Christine said...

No, it wasn't still alive. The legs just jiggle around when you crack it open!

I stinketh not!! said...

YUCK!

Peanut said...

When I was on Long Island for a conference, the final dinner was lobster. I enjoyed it, but I agree--mostly an excuse to eat butter. I'm not sure I'll ever go to a restaurant and order one, but if presented with another lobster dinner, I'd probably eat it.

Glad you guys had fun. If you like light houses, I hear North Carolina has some pretty great ones. :)

Ree said...

I love hearing about all the great road trips you guys take--fun adventures!